Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Jambalaya

Yesterday was Mardi Gras- the day for parties, parades, wearing
purple, green and gold, plastic beads and eating King Cake.
One big, indulgent party before Lent begins.  I have never been
to New Orleans for Carnival and want to stay as far away from
that madness as I can.  The creole food is good stuff though.
So on Fat Tuesday, I decided to make a new recipe for Jambalaya
and was pleased with the results.

First, I chopped onion, celery and garlic.  The recipe called for
green pepper, but I didn't have any.



Saute this in butter.



















Chop kielbasa sausage and add to pot.  At about this point
your kitchen will begin to smell insanely good.






















































After the sausage browns a little.   Add rice.



















Toast the rice for a couple of minutes and then add water



















A can of diced tomatoes and spices



















Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until
rice is cooked.  Add peeled and cleaned shrimp for about 5 min.
at the end.



















I added hot sauce to mine to make it nice and spicy.
A party for your mouth!!

Jambalaya
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. butter
Chopped kielbasa
1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup white rice
1 1/2 cup water
1 t. sugar
1 t. dried thyme
1/2 t. chili powder
1 lb. peeled and cleaned shrimp
parsley

Saute chopped onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter.
Add kielbasa.   Add rice to toast for a couple of minutes.
Add water, tomatoes, sugar, and spices.
Cook covered at a simmer for about 25 minutes or until rice is
tender.  Add shrimp at the very end. It only takes about 5 minutes
to cook the shrimp.


* Goal # 23  - Try 50 new recipes

2 comments:

  1. I will skip this one. I figure my personality is spicy enough without liking spicy food, ha! It looks nice though and I love watching you cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get the pictures to come through, but the recipe sounds good (without the green pepper!!). I might try that one sometime!

    ReplyDelete