We've had a string of beautiful spring days this week,
nice and warm. Today, I left the house to run errands
in my "spring" clothes and darn if it wasn't cold outside.
I was freezing all afternoon. Note to self - it's not spring
yet. Take a coat when you leave the house!
Determined to warm myself up, I decided to make chili for
dinner. And, I knew just which one I wanted.
In January, I visited Brevard Branch for their yearly
Branch Conference. ( a branch/ward is a local
congregation in our church) As the Stake Primary President
(more on this later), I travel throughout western NC and visit
and train, when necessary, the leaders who work in the Primary
with the children. On this Sunday, I had a great time with
these children and their leaders.
After the meetings, we share a wonderful meal that has been
prepared by the women in the church. I don't know what it
is about attending church that makes you so hungry, but I'm
always starving. And the food is sooo good at church
dinners, don't you think?
On this day, I had some Black Bean chili that was delicious.
With help from a friend (thanks Anne), I tracked down the recipe,
except it really wasn't a recipe. It was more like a list of ingredients.
This experienced cook doesn't use recipes. She just cooks from
memory and creates dishes as she goes along. So, I've taken her
list of ingredients and tweaked them a little to come up with my
own version of her chili.
My Version of Debbie Simpson's Black Bean Chili
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 box chicken broth
1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup lentils
1 can black beans
1/2 can corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1 t. cumin
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix ( I didn't use it all)
Chop the veggies. The garlic didn't make it in this picture.
Saute the veggies in a little olive oil. Add the garlic last, so it
doesn't brown.
Then add the liquids, the lentils and the barley.
I didn't use quick cooking barley. Since the lentils have to cook
for a while, I saw no point in using quick cooking. I let this
simmer for about 45 minutes. I wanted the barley and lentils
to be tender, but didn't want the lentils to turn to mush, which
can happen if you cook them too long.
Near the end of the cooking time, I added the remaining ingredients.
The corn, tomatoes, black beans and spices.
If it thickens up more than you like, just add more chicken broth
or water.
This is how it turned out. I added pepper jack cheese to the top
with a little sour cream, chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice
squeezed on the top right before serving. The cilantro and the
juice gave it such a fresh taste. It was yummy!!!
I made mexican cornbread muffins to go with it.
I followed the recipe on the back of my cornmeal mix to make
regular muffins and then added 1/2 diced jalapeno pepper,
pepper jack cheese, and 1/2 can of corn. ( I used the other 1/2
of the can in the soup). They turned out well.
I'm full and happy and ready to go climb in bed, snuggle
under the covers and watch movies with my hubby.
I love Friday nights!
* Goal # 10 - Eat three meatless meals a week
Goal # 23 - Try 50 new recipes
I love Friday too! Can't wait to hear more about Stake Primary Presidency :)
ReplyDelete