Our Personal Progress activity this month was about
gifts. Not the latest cell phone, cute shoes , bag,
or necklace. Gifts of much more importance than these.
I speak of - spiritual gifts.
"But covet earnestly the best gifts."
1 Corinthians 12:31
Last night I sat in the floor with a bunch of teenage girls
and we talked about the gifts and talents that we see in each
other. Why is it so hard to see the good in ourselves, but
easy to spot in others? Comparing our worst to others best
is unfair, but this is exactly what we do. And I think the
teenage years are the hardest, when young people are under
tremendous pressure to conform to society's standards (which
are very low, if you haven't noticed). It is so important
that we help these young people recognize their gifts and
talents that God has given them and their great potential
for good as they bless others with those talents.
"And again I would exhort you that ye would come
unto Christ, and lay hold upon every good gift."
Moroni 10:30
My favorite part of the evening was when I looked
around the room and saw these girls with scriptures in
their laps and everyone was reading and discussing
what the Lord had to say about gifts and talents.
( I wish I had a picture of that!) If I can pass my love
of the scriptures along to these girls, I will have succeeded
in this calling.
"For all have not every gift given unto them; for there
are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by
the spirit of God. To some is given one, and to some
is given another, that all may be profited thereby."
D&C 46:12
The girls were supposed to ask a family member, a church
leader and a friend to tell them positive qualities the Lord
has given them. They then listed these qualities in their journals.
This month they will ponder this list and plan ways they can
continue to develop their gifts and talents. Then we will
talk about how they can use these gifts to serve their family
and others. The Lord gives us gifts for the purpose of using
those gifts to bless others - it is re-gifting at its finest!
" And I would exhort you, my beloved brethren, that
ye remember that every good gift cometh of Christ."
Moroni 10:18
After our discussion, each of the girls made a collage that
expressed their personalities and interests. It was fun to sit
and listen to them talk as they flipped through magazines and
searched for just the right picture or word.
Don't you wish you had the talent of sitting like this?
Or looking this cute in a hat?
Or being able to pull off wearing fuzzy boots and a big flower in your hair? Adorable!
What about these smiles?
I hope and pray these young women recognize their great worth
and know how much the Lord loves them. He has blessed
them with gifts and talents that they will need to fulfill their
mission here on earth. I feel blessed to help them a little along their way.
* Goal # 44 - Give 50 hours of service.
The gift of love you are putting into these girls is precious.
ReplyDelete