Tuesday, March 15, 2011

72 Hour Kit - Week 2

Last week, I started my 72 Hour kit and my focus was on food.
I put a three day supply of tasty (if you are in starvation mode)
nonperishable food in ziplock bags.
















This week, I'm adding water to my kit.  It is recommended that
you have 2 liters of water a person per day.  That's a lot of water
to put in a kit.  I'm putting half that amount in, until I see if I have
room for more and adding water purification tablets.  There are many
ways to purify water.   You can go here and see a number of options
at different price ranges.

My hiking sons swear by this stuff.  They used it in Mexico and
 the water they were drinking was brown!  It can be ordered online.


















 It is important to have access to water.  In most emergency situations
 that I've heard about (luckily haven't experienced myself),
this is the first thing that is requested .   People in Japan right
now need food and water.


















I have these boxed waters that I ordered from Emergency Essentials
and you can always just put purchased bottled water in.
Remember, the food and water in your kit needs to be checked every
six months and rotated as necessary.

The next concern is light.  The kits need to have flashlights.  If
they aren't hand generated flashlights you need extra batteries.
I also included a bunch of lightsticks.  They work really well
for up to 12 hours.  After packing all the other items in your
kit - put the flashlight on top, so it is easily accessible.
















Next items are hand and body warmers , rain poncho and
emergency blankets.  All of these items can be purchased
in the camping aisle at Walmart.


















I think that is enough for this week.  Next week I'll be
adding personal and toiletry items.

* Goal # 18 - Work on monthly storage and preparedness goals.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome. You seem to be covering everything that would be needed.

    ReplyDelete