I like to make it the day after I've had a meal with rice.
I pre-plan to have 2 cups of leftover rice. I used brown rice
in this recipe and it works just fine. I know some recipes
need white rice, but this isn't one of them. I feel more
virtuous when I eat brown rice, especially when it's loaded
with veggies.
Start by chopping scallions. These are large and I used 3. Use
up to 10 if they are small.
Separate the white part from the green tops
Next, chop any veggies you have in your fridge that you would
like in a stir fry. I had 1 stalk of celery and some broccoli that I
chopped up.
Then I used a bag of coleslaw mix - the one with cabbage, carrots
and red cabbage in it.
And I love sugar snap peas in stir fry - so I took a bag out of the
freezer to add.
Next, I mixed up the sauce which is super easy. It is made from
soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and fresh ginger. The recipe also
calls for hot sauce, but I left it out. If you like spicy, put it in.
I've discovered a way to always have fresh ginger when I need it.
In the past I had a problem using it up before it became dried out and
shriveled. Now I keep it in the freezer and pull it out whenever I
need fresh ginger for a recipe. It is easier to grate frozen and I
use my beloved microplane zester for the job. Watch the fingers!
When I 'm finished, the ginger goes back in the freezer bag and
into the freezer. I'm really so pleased with this discovery about
ginger. Can you tell?
Next, I cracked 2 eggs and whisked them up. Don't you love
that picture of the egg dropping into the bowl? And notice how
nice and yellow that yolk is. I personally thank my hens everyday
when I collect eggs.
The last item in this recipe is the leftover rice.
The important thing with stir fry is to have everything ready to
go. It cooks so quickly and you don't want those yummy veggies
to get overcooked. A little crunch is best.
The first thing to cook are the eggs in a little oil.
Break them up into little pieces and set aside.
Next cook the veggies for a couple of minutes.
Add coleslaw mix.
Cook a minute or so and add rice and sauce.
Stir and then add the eggs at the end along with the green tops of
the scallions.
That's it! Easy and so good. The only thing that would make it
better and prettier is adding chopped red pepper. I have a non-
pepper eater at my house, so I left that out. But it would be
pretty, don't you think? A little red mixed in with the other
colors....
No, I didn't eat this with chopsticks. But they looked good for
the picture.
Vegetable Fried Rice
6 T. soy sauce
2 T. rice vinegar
hot sauce - optional, to taste
1 T. grated fresh ginger
3 large eggs
4 t. vegetable oil
3 - 10 scallions, depending on size , sliced thin and
separated white and green tops
4 cups bagged coleslaw mx
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
other veggies that you would like to add - such as
broccoli or sugar snap peas
2 cups or so of leftover rice
Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and hot sauce in small bowl.
In another bowl, beat eggs with a spoonful of above sauce.
Heat 2 t. oil in skillet or wok and add egg. Scramble and break
into small pieces. Transfer to plate.
Heat remaining oil in empty skillet. Cook scallion whites,
and other veggies. Add coleslaw mix and bell pepper.
Cook about 1 minute. Add rice and sauce. Cook a couple
of minutes. Stir in egg and scallion greens. Cook 1 minute.
Enjoy!
If you have leftovers, it's great heated up for lunch the next day.
* Goal #10 - Eat 3 meatless meals a week.
YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scott wants to know what time we are eating :)
ReplyDeleteI need to help Carol M. someday on her computer to learn to copy these great recipes. I Love Them!
ReplyDelete