Tuesday, March 29, 2011

72 Hour Kit - Week 4

Here we are at week four of putting together these 72 hour kits and
we are almost finished.  At this point we have our bag or container,
food, water, clothing and personal items.  This week we are adding
first aid kits.


















You can buy commercial first aid kits, but I am putting mine together
from the odds and ends I already have at home.  I'm going to need to
purchase a few things though. I am not good in emergency situations,
so I hope that if there is blood involved or broken bones there will be
someone else with me and I can hand my supplies over  to them. That
way I can just sit and try not to hyperventilate.  I don't think that first aid
book is going to do a lot of good at that point, but I will volunteer to read
instructions while someone else administers the first aid.
This is the list of recommended items that should go in your first aid kit.
asprin, ibuprofen, acetaminophin
antiseptic wipes
burn ointment
antibiotic ointment (neosporin)
lots of bandaids in different sizes
allergy tablets
gauze
needle
matches (for sterilizing)
elastic rolled bandanges
sterile bandages
small scissors
tube of petroleum jelly
tweezers
antacid
sunscreen
safety pins
triangular bandage
anti - diarrhea medicine
prescription medicines

It is a good idea to take a first aid course to prepare for a
possible emergency and to be certified in CPR.  
Put your kits in ziplock bags and they're ready to go. 
 As a matter of fact, put as many things in your kits in ziplock
bags as possible. (clothing, food, etc.)
 Wet supplies may not be so good.
 I'm also adding a few other things this week.
Plastic garbage bags, rope, water proof matches and money.
So many people don't use cash anymore and in an emergency situation
you probably won't be able to get to a bank or use your debit card.
Cash is what you need and in small denominations.
The emergency whistle is pretty cool.
This one has a compass
Not sure I really know how to use it.....
and you can store your waterproof matches
in the end of it.
The matches and the whistle came from Emergency Essentials.

I'm going to make a shopping list of a few things  I need to complete
my first aid kit and next week I will finish off this 72 hour kit project!


*Goal #18 - Work on storage and preparedness goals.

1 comment:

  1. Don't buy safety pins, I have tons and will be glad to bring you some :) Did I mention how amazing you are? If not, you are!

    ReplyDelete