Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Little Child Shall Lead Them

This year our theme in Primary has been, "I know the Scriptures are True."
I've had the great opportunity to travel throughout western NC and spend
time with primary children and their leaders as they've explored this theme
together.  I've been pleased to see children coming to church with scriptures
in hand and reporting to their primary leaders how they've been reading their
scriptures at home with their families.   They are learning how to find their
way around in the scriptures- from Genesis to Moroni.  Each month they
work on memorizing a scripture, as well as learning the Articles of Faith
before they graduate from primary.  The Articles of Faith are thirteen
statements that explain the tenants of our faith.  You can read them here.

In a recent visit to one of the units, I listened to an eleven year old boy report
to the adults in the congregation that he had memorized all thirteen of the
articles of faith. (This is no small feat.)  The primary president then put him
in charge of working with the other children and marking their names off
on the chart as they memorized each verse.  On this Sunday, he challenged
the adult members of his ward to come to him after church any Sunday and
recite the Articles of Faith to him and he would mark their names off on the
chart.  I loved it!!!  I hope the adults take him up on that challenge.  I know
I did.  After church was over, I went to him and told him I was ready to
recite the Articles of Faith to him.  
He was very encouraging to me and when I stumbled, he would give me
hints to help me out.  I made it almost all the way through.....but I need to
work on a few of them.  I told him, when I came back to visit, I would recite
the rest of them to him, and I plan to keep my commitment.  So, I'm memorizing.

The thirteeneth article of faith is quite long and one of the best ways to 
learn it, is to sing it.  All the primary children(and adults) in Hendersonville
have been challenged by a four year old who has memorized many scriptures
this year, including the thirteenth article of faith.  Take a look...
 
Wonderful, huh?  

Last Christmas, I ran across the following video when I was blog 
hopping one day.  I don't know this child, although I would love to.
He's so cute!  I enjoy reading his mom's blog from time to time.  You
can go here to read her blog entry about the video.   I've watched this 
over and over and it's a reminder to me how quickly children pick up 
what they hear.   This family was not trying to teach the little boy to 
memorize the christmas story, but after reading it each day as a family,
they discovered that he had picked most of it up on his own.  
It's precious.

Are you smiling?  I know you are.
Children are truly amazing.  There's so much we can learn from them.


"..... and a little child shall lead them."
Isaiah 11:8
*MYOF Goal #42- Memorize 50 scriptures

1 comment: