Sunday, October 9, 2011

A is for Apples....

Golden Delicious, Mutzu, Fuji, Pink Ladies.....they're all wonderful!
We live in apple country and I love supporting our local farmers.  Each
year I try to go to a local orchard and pick apples. On a cool, autumn day,
with the sun shining in blue skies, it's almost a spiritual experience to stand
 in the middle of an orchard with trees loaded with fruit, and pick to
your heart's content.
Last week, Kenzie and I went to Justice Orchards.  I'm so glad that girl's
moved back to Hendersonville.  I've missed having her around to play with.
We walked around the orchard looking at the apples and trying to decide 
which ones we wanted to pick.
These were a must have.
Mutzus are a big, green apple that are sweet and tart.  I love them.

We also picked baskets of pink ladies.  I've decided they are my new favorites.
.
Of course, I wanted the ones at the very top!
After picking, we enjoyed an apple cider doughnut.  Yum!!!
Back at home, I started turning those apples into applesauce.



Next will come apple butter and apple pie filling.  I've got my work cut 
out for me.  But it's a satisfying work that makes my house smell heavenly
and puts good food on my pantry shelves.   I love autumn!!

*MYOF Goal #18  - Work on monthly storage and preparedness goals
  Autumn Goal - Pick apples at the orchard.

1 comment:

  1. I love apples too!! Gala is my favorite.
    So glad you and Kenzie could share this. I'm glad she is back local too.

    ReplyDelete