Asheville. So for the last week, I've been analyzing my
garden space and making a list of all the plants I wanted
to purchase. The danger of frost is over and it is time to
get the rest of my garden planted. The only thing that makes
going to the herb show more fun is going with friends who
are great gardeners. I love hanging out with people who can
teach me a thing or two. We decided to begin our shopping trip
with lunch at Apollo Flame. We needed nourishment for the
afternoon ahead!
Mary and I decided to split the Greek Salad. Oh my word. This
salad could feed a family of four - but we did a pretty good job
on it ourselves. It was delicious.
We lucked up at the Herb Festival and found a great parking space
near all the booths. Each time our baskets filled up, we just
walked to the car and unloaded.
There is an art to this whole experience that has been learned over
the years. First, baskets are a must. Second, you need the little
fanny packs, although we put ours in the front, so maybe they are
belly packs, to keep your money and list in. Hands have to be
free to dig around among all the plants.
I get excited over all the varieties of heirloom tomatoes and have
to discipline myself not to over buy. This year I bought 23 plants
and a few varieties that I've never tried before. I have a hard time
growing tomatoes, so I got plenty, fully expecting to lose some to
disease.
I love San Marzano tomatoes, but I wonder how they will do
in our climate. I was under the impression that what made them
wonderful, was where they were grown in that special area of
Italy. I didn't get any this year, but would love to hear if anyone
tries them and has success.
We searched high and low for Hungarian Heart tomatoes to no
avail. Tara was disappointed as they have become her favorite
canning tomatoes. They are huge and very meaty. I grew them
last season, but some critter ate a big bite out of each one right before
they were ready to be picked. Couldn't they eat a tomato instead
of a bite out of each one? Drove me nuts.
I loved the sights and smells of the festival. Beautiful, green
plants everywhere you looked. With our money pouches considerably
lighter and my car loaded to capacity, we headed home to
begin the real work! I started in the garden early on Saturday morning
and worked until I had everything in the ground.
I planted butternut and acorn squashes, cucumbers, yellow
squash, okra, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, basil, dill,
zucchini and lots of tomatoes. This is the most pleasant part
of the gardening experience- planting on a warm spring day and
dreaming of all the yummy food to be harvested in a few
months. The hard part will be the weeding and fighting the bugs
and worms.
I took a little break in the middle of the day to show some
cute brothers and their little sister around the farm. First, we had
a wild turkey siting in the back yard and we watched him through
binoculars. We were in complete agreement that the turkey is one
ugly bird!! Next,we fed the chickens. Then they wanted to chase
the chickens and hear them squawk and run around. Poor girls, I
think they were traumatized and may not lay eggs for a week after
that experience :)
Next we went to the pond to see the tadpoles.
We have no shortage of those!
After a few rides on the Polaris Ranger (which they loved!),
they picked spinach and lettuce for dinner.
Their excitement over every little thing was delightful.
I hope they can come back soon to do a little fishing.
It was a great day in the garden, and I loved the email
I received later that evening that said the boys had a
salad for dinner and thought it was the best farm lettuce
they had ever had. Of course, it helps that their mom is
fantastic in the kitchen. The description of the
salad she made from my butter lettuce made my
mouth water.
mouth water.
* Goal #43 - Expand my vegetable garden.
Oh, it was delicious! The spinach last night was divine, too -- sauteed mushrooms, more baby vidalias, crisp bacon, grilled chicken, hard boiled eggs . . . yum. It was a wonderful day -- the boys are still talking about it. And their response to the food we've been eating has firmed my resolve to get the garden done this weekend -- they are so much more likely to eat things they've helped to harvest. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteYou are so cute in your overalls :)
ReplyDeleteSure hope I am there some over the summer to eat some of your yummy food!