Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bon Appetit, Y'all!

 Go ahead and say it - Chocolate Lounge.  Doesn't that just
conjure up lovely visions in your mind?   Travis has been talking
about taking me here since we began our little culinary
adventure at the beginning of the year.  I was okay with just
having chocolate for lunch (probably not the best idea for
a diabetic) - but he decided that it might be nice to check out Bouchon and 
have a little French lunch before we indulged in our chocolate. 
 That boy is so smart!
The Creperie Bouchon claims to be the "Best Crepe Secret"
in town.  How clever is that?  It's located in a courtyard off
of Lexington Avenue and it's definitely hidden.  If you don't have
a date who knows where it is - you might have to ask someone. 
It's always hard for me to make up my mind, because I get so
caught up in the atmosphere of a restaurant.  I just wanted to
walk around and look at everything.
I watched this guy make crepes and decided that was what I 
had to have - but which one?
Travis suggested the Farm to Table so I went with that and man
was I glad I did.  Caramelized onion, fresh mushrooms and
goat cheese.  It was really good.
Travis chose the Le Croque Bouchon - a croque monsieur topped
with a pan fried sunny side up egg, served up with Frites.
And let me tell you, those Frites tossed with herbs de Province
were tasty.  We sat outside in the courtyard and I felt quite French.
They had wonderful dessert crepes on their menu - but we already
had our dessert plans made! Dessert was the main event.
 We walked a couple of blocks to the Chocolate Lounge.  
 To say that I was excited, is probably an understatement. 
 I have recently learned that I am a chocophile. When I say
recently, I mean I just recently learned there was a word 
for my chocolate addiction. I've always known I was a 
  "lover of chocolate."

  At the chocolate lounge, they make artisan chocolates 
as well as chocolate desserts. They also have an amazing
selection of chocolate bars made from chocolate that has been
sourced worldwide.  If you think all chocolate tastes the same,
you really need to take a little field trip to the Chocolate Lounge 
and sample some different varieties.  My favorite as of late has
been a dark chocolate with sea salt blend.  The thing I love 
about good chocolate- a couple of small squares satisifies.
Since I have to ration my sweets, that is a good thing and 
since some of these bars can cost up to $12 each (not kidding)
a bar of good chocolate can be shared with several people or
you can eat a little and then save some for the next day,
and the next.  If your disciplined, you could eat a square
each day and you would have chocolate all week.
It is proven that dark chocolate has health benefits,
so eat that square guilt free!

Look at these beautiful , handmade chocolates.  Notice the signs
indicating the origin of the chocolate.
Love these!!!  Aren't they adorable peanut butter cups?
The brownies looked amazing.  I bought a chocolate macaroon
brownie to take home to Mark and he said it was fabulous.
 This chocolate layer cake caught my eye.  Three layers of devils food cake
sandwiched with whipped ganache, cloaked in a dark chocolate
glaze and covered with dark chocolate curls.
I wasn't turning this down.  Travis and I decided to get a slice
of this and a chocolate blackberry mousse and share.
Absolute decadence.  We couldn't eat it all- but we wanted to.

I'm not sure if it is a good thing that I now know about the
Chocolate Lounge.  At least it is in downtown Asheville, so 
going there would be an event, not someplace I just happen to
drop by.  But if anyone has an event they want to celebrate,
I would be glad to introduce you to the Chocolate Lounge.  You
will probably need someone with which to share and I am 
really good at sharing :)

* Goal #40 - Try new restaurant each month in Asheville with Travis


4 comments:

  1. Last time we went, Craig had a peanut butter cheesecake with chocolate in it somewhere, and I had that chocolate cake. I'm still dreaming about it. Next time, I'm trying the liquid truffles -- I have a few friends who swear it's the best thing they've ever tasted.

    (And tell Travis to take you to Rezaz -- if you have any positive feelings about gnocchi, there's one on their menu that will knock your socks off: peas, wild mushrooms, fresh parmesan, balsamic reduction . . . we're going Friday night and I can't wait. It's on the menu as an appetizer, but I have been known to order it double-sized for my main entree. With the grilled Romaine caesar salad, it's more than enough for a meal.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, thanks for the suggestions. Liquid truffles? I can only imagine how good that would be. I do have positive feelings about gnocchi, so I will give it a try. Enjoy your evening out with your husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This makes me want to move to Asheville. Who knew there was such great food! And to think all I wanted during high school was Taco Bell! Thanks for sharing (and could PJ and I be a date the next time we're in town?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please, please, please can we go there when I come up next time????? I think that is an event worth the trip. My mouth so wants some chocolate now.... and I was doing so good with my calories today before reading your post :)

    ReplyDelete