Thanks to Jenny, who helped me figure out how to repost , after
Blogger ate the original version. It sure helps to have friends that
are more tech savvy than me! And it's a reminder that I can learn
something new from the annoying little problems I face each day,
if I adjust my attitude from one of frustration to one of opportunity.
Asking myself, "What can I learn from this experience?" can be instructive.
I'm having my own little strawberry festival.
It was a happy day when I saw this sign.
I look forward to these berries from June to the following May.
Strawberry season is short, so I can hardly eat enough before it's over.
I know you can buy strawberries any time of the year - but I promise,
if you ever eat these berries, you just won't be happy with others.
A week before the berries were ripe, we had a storm in the middle of
the night, with large hail. I sat up in bed and the first thing I said was,
"Oh, no. The strawberries are going to be ruined." Yes, it seems I
think about food even in my sleep. I'm sure my husband thought I was crazy.
Thank goodness there was no hail on Dana Road and the
strawberries were just fine.
Oh, happy day! Just look at these berries. I took two baskets
for starters. I love the way they make my car smell all the way home.
I tried to resist popping one in my mouth until I could get them washed off,
but what the heck, a little dirt never hurt anyone, right?
Strawberries and rhubarb are a match made in heaven and I
just happen to know someone who was willing to share some of
her rhubarb with me. Thank you, Tara!
The next question was "what to do first?"
How about some strawberry rhubarb jam?
Next up - strawberry rhubarb muffins. These are so good.
That crunchy, nutty topping goes perfectly with the fruit inside.
And after dinner, the perfect dessert is Balsamic Strawberries with
Whipped Mascarpone. Mascarpone is an Italian cream cheese and
whipped up with cream and a little sweetener, it takes whipped
cream to a whole new level, folks. My first inclination was to
avoid putting vinegar on my strawberries. It just seemed wrong.
But the vinegar is boiled down into a sweet syrup and it doesn't
taste like vinegar at all. The combination of the balsamic syrup
and the strawberries is really good. I promise.
So, I'm having strawberries at pretty much every meal these days.
On my yogurt or cereal in the morning and
on salads for lunch or dinner.
This is a spinach salad with strawberries, candied pecans and blue cheese.
We love Point Reyes Blue Cheese. It is made in California and has the
freshest taste of any blue cheese I've tried. My second favorite,
is Maytag (another domestic choice). The salad is dressed with a
poppy seed viniagrette. Feta cheese would also be good.
freshest taste of any blue cheese I've tried. My second favorite,
is Maytag (another domestic choice). The salad is dressed with a
poppy seed viniagrette. Feta cheese would also be good.
When Mark and I were dating, we went to a French restaurant in
Winston - Salem. I think the name of it was Berry's. It's since
closed, but they served a spinach salad that was almost identical to
this. I remember tasting it and realizing this was something special.
My only salad experience up to that point had pretty much
been iceburg lettuce with bottled salad dressings. Oh, my
goodness.....this was a salad and I think my love of food might have
have had it's beginnings that very night. I also remember having my first
crepe at that restaurant. I was only nineteen and although I had
been eating really good homestyle cooking- I grew up in a family of
of wonderful southern cooks- I had never had food like this. Now
don't get me wrong, I love chicken and dumplings, green beans
and macaroni and cheese and I can cook up a "mess" of biscuits
and gravy with the best of them. I love some good old southern cooking,
but my culinary horizons had been broadened. I was falling
in love with food and that cute brown eyed boy sitting across
the table from me. Ahhhh..... sweet memories.
So back to the strawberries.
So many recipes and so little time, before the strawberries are gone
for another year. I do plan to make strawberry shortcakes this weekend,
and at some point I think we need to melt some good chocolate and dippity dip.
Maybe I will do that for the young women next Wednesday.
I have to find someone to help me enjoy all this strawberry deliciousness.
What's your favorite strawberry recipe? Do share!!
Nut Topped Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 t. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped strawberries
3/4 cup diced fresh rhubarb
Topping:
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 T. cold butter
In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients . In another bowl,
whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just
until moistened. Fold in strawberries and rhubarb. Fill greased or
paper lined muffin cups two thirds full. In a small bowl mix the
topping ingredients. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse
crumbs. Sprinkle over batter in cups. Bake at 400 for 20 -25
minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before
removing from pans to wire racks.
Balsamic Strawberries with Whipped Mascarpone
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
5 T. plus 2 t. sugar
1/2 t. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup Mascarpone cheese, chilled
1/2 cup whipped cream, chilled
1/2 t. vanilla extract
3 pints strawberries, hulled and halved
Combine balsamic vinegar, 2 t.sugar and lemon juice
in small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar
dissolves. Boil until syrup is reduces to 1/4 cup , about 3 minutes.
It will become very syrupy. Transfer to small bowl, cool completely.
Combine mascarpone, cream, vanilla and 2 T. sugar in bowl. Whisk
until thick, soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
Combine berries and remaining 3 T. sugar in large bowl. Drizzle with
balsamic syrup and toss to blend. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Serve with mascarpone cream.
Poppy Seed Viniagrette Dressing
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice and 1 t. lemon zest (2 -3 lemons)
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 cup sugar
2 t. poppy seeds
1/2 - 1 t. grated onion (be careful not to overdo here)
1 clove finely pressed garlic
Mix and refrigerate. This makes enough for lots of salads.
You could half the recipe - or you could just eat a lot of salad.
*Goal #23 - Try 50 new recipes
*Goal #18 - Work on storage and preparedness goals.
Ok. So what would I need to do to the muffin recipe to omit the rhubarb? Would adding another 3/4 cup of strawberries work? I do LOVE fresh strawberries. There is a man who delivers fresh berries to Black Mountain (sells them out of the back of his pick-up truck), and it is an exciting day at our house when we hear, "The Strawberry Man is here!!!!!"
ReplyDeleteWOW, makes me hungry just reading your blog Melissa. I am not a great cook but I am going to try these recipes they sound delicious!!! And the pictures look like you could just reach in and grab a strawberry! I made some strawberry jam but haven't found any good rhubarb yet, still looking. I love rhubarb pie, my very favorite! Thanks for sharing with us!
ReplyDeleteLove ya, Jo Ann
Cindy, just add extra strawberries. I think you will like these muffins.
ReplyDeleteThat first picture makes my mouth water just to look at it. I remember Nana making strawberry rhubarb jelly. It used to be one of Jessica's favorites. The muffins look so delicious. YUM!!
ReplyDeleteWe've eaten four gallons so far . . . more tomorrow. We've had homemade ice cream, Belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream, chocolate-drizzled berries, and berries with salads and cereal and ice cream and whatever else I think might be better with berries. Love it. Next up: strawberry cupcakes, then fresh strawberry pie. And some jam, I think. Oh, how I love living in a place like this where things grow so willingly!
ReplyDeleteI'm reposting my original comment, or at least what I remember of it. We, too, look forward to strawberry time. It is one of our most exciting days of spring to hear, "The strawberry man is BACK!!!!" I've lost track, but I think we are on 6 gallons now. Frozen about half and eaten the others.
ReplyDeleteAny ideas on how to modify your strawberry rhubarb muffin recipe to only have strawberries? I've often wanted to make homemade strawberry muffins, but no one in my house is a rhubarb fan.
Cindy,
ReplyDeleteJust use extra strawberries. I bet you could cut back on the sugar in the batter a little too- since you aren't using the rhubarb. Let me know if you try it and how it turns out. One thing I forgot to say - they need to be eaten fresh to get the best from the crunchy topping. If you cover them with wrap, the top will lose its crunch.