Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Barn Jam

For many years, my boys have been playing music. It has definitely evolved
over time,but I was thinking this week about when they were in high school. 
Band practices were often held in our basement and the music was so loud, 
I would have to go outside to talk on the phone.  I would wear earplugs while
I did my housework and a few times I had to go and put a stop to the kind of
music that was being played.

I believe in being supportive and helping your kids find their talents, 
but that often comes with sacrifice on the part of the parents. There 
were talent shows and library shows and restaurant performances on 
Main Street.  To be honest,  we thought it was a phase and they would
outgrow this "band" thing.  Instead,  they have matured, as well as their
music, (thank goodness!) and now they find themselves playing in new
and more exciting venues. 
The brothers Wray (Travis included) have all been in bands together at
one time or another, but Dillon has been the most committed to making 
music his life's dream.  I have been impressed with his tenacity and ability
to give it his all.  The band members and band names have changed over
the years, but the love of music has stayed the same.  
When Jantzen moved to Colorado to attend school, he discovered
that he enjoyed performing, something that was a bit of an epiphany
for him as he had always considered those roles "taken" by his older
brothers.  On his own, and out of their shadow,  he picked up a new
instrument and started to play.  Later on, he convinced Dillon to join 
him in the west and they began a new band with a new style of music. 
Old North State has been working itself into the local music scene and
this summer they are doing a good bit of traveling in their new home
on wheels.  It's definitely a life geared towards a young person who 
can work long and hard, play a show into the wee hours of the morning
and then hit the road for the next destination.  When money gets low,
they take to the streets and literally "sing for their supper".  After a few
hours playing on the sidewalk they earn enough money, not only for
supper, but for groceries for the entire week!  Now, I think twice before
passing a street musician without throwing a little money in the case.  
And though this isn't a traditional approach to secondary education, 
it is an education nonetheless.  I've enjoyed watching their skills grow,
not only musically, but in many other ways as well.  They are becoming
savvy business men who know how to market and promote their craft. 
They are learning how to earn and reinvest, how to design merchandise
and promotional materials, how to network and give back to the community.
Along with  some real life lessons of hard work, commitment, frugality and 
sacrifice,  these are all skills that will serve them well, wherever they land
in life. They are making memories that will last a lifetime. 

They have been home the last couple of weeks for a visit and we have
been having a wonderful time.  The house has been alive with laughter,
music,friends and more friends.
I haven't cooked for such an appreciative bunch in a long time. 

Many evenings, music drifts up the hill from the barn. 
Mark has moved out the tractor and a few other things to make the
perfect place to hang out with friends and play a little music.   They
are used to keeping late hours, so hopefully the neighbors have enjoyed
the concerts as well.

We decided to join them one evening and what a great time we had! 
I loved the way they just grabbed anything they could find to sit on -
a cooler, an empty bucket, whatever.
Some old friends came by to visit and join in the fun
and they played for hours.  If you are an Old North State fan, here are
a few videos I took that night.  You will feel like you were right there 
with us.  Enjoy!




5 comments:

  1. They're very talented. I can't wait to share this with Kevin. Although we both like Blue Grass type music, he really appreciates it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would buy that first song. They sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! Enjoyed the post and the music. So glad Dillon and Jantzen could come home for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Old North State makes music by the barn full.
    Really good...
    Thanks,Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our favorite band right now is the Avett Brothers from NC (wonderful shows). ONS has a sound similar to theirs...it's about passion for making music, writings songs, & performing. They could really take this pretty far...great sound!

    ReplyDelete