Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Alpine Melody

My first attempt at music lessons was when I was 7 years old.
That was short lived.  Piano was more work than I had bargained
for - practice every day!  - so I decided I would rather be a Brownie.
My mom said I could do one or the other, but not both.  Brownies
seemed like more fun and involved cookies instead of practicing.
Well,  which would you have chosen?

I sometimes wish my mom hadn't given me that choice.
   
Five years ago, after I was pretty much through paying for lessons
of all kinds for my kids, I decided it was my turn for lessons.  I have
a friend who is a fantastic musician and she agreed to teach me.  
Things were going well - and then she became pregnant with twins
(which was a wonderful blessing)  and that was the end of my lessons. 
I found another teacher who was a sweet, elderly lady.  She was incredibly
patient and I liked her.  After a period of time, she became ill and
couldn't  teach anymore.  Music lessons were just not working out.


This year I decided I wanted to pick it up again - but at a much more
low key and casual pace.  I would commit fifteen minutes a day to the
piano.  That's all.  It's pretty easy to do something for fifteen minutes.
And I'm interested in how that small investment of time each day will
add up by the end of the year.

Despite the fact that all of my children are musically gifted, they didn't
get that gene from me.  I know that I don't have natural talent, but I have
desire and with enough work, that can go a long way.  I have no great
ambitions here. I just want to be able to pick my way through simple
songs and learn some basic music theory.

After practicing in January, here is my first recital - a little tune called
Alpine Melody.




Goal #32  - Practice the piano fifteen minutes a day

2 comments:

  1. Great concert! Benjamin enjoyed it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I'm impressed and so proud of you for giving it a go again. I'm always encouraged by you and the things you do.

    ReplyDelete