I'm recovering from a weekend family reunion. It started on Thursday
when I began dragging camping equipment out of the recesses of the
basement. Tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, lantern, camp chairs, camp
stove, cooking equipment, coolers, etc. It takes a lot of stuff to go car
camping. Then I was up to midnight cooking food- cookies, cake and
baked beans were my assignments.
This same scenario was taking place in Greensboro, Jonesville, Black
Mountain, Hickory and Richmond, Virginia. The Sturdivant family
was getting ready to descend on Davidson River Campground.
This is our fifth annual family reunion and the fourth(and probably
last) camping reunion. I have three siblings and we take turns
planning and organizing the event. We grew up in a camping family,
so we all enjoy it. Each year our mom and dad would pack us up
and take us camping at the beach. We loved it.
As adults, now we can appreciate what went into those trips. Man is it
a lot of work and we are starting to look at other options.
But this year I was excited to have the family in my neck of the woods
and to show them the beauty of Pisgah National Forest. I had days
planned for hiking, biking, swimming and sitting around the campsite
enjoying the great outdoors. Unfortunately, things don't always go
as planned.
On Friday, I was first to arrive and was pleased with myself that I had
my little tent all set up when the other families started rolling in. Within
an hour, campsites were ready for the weekend and we were thinking
about dinner.
My brother in law Scott, had grill duty and whipped up some great burgers
and hotdogs.
Sherri wanted me to make fried green tomatoes, "Vickery's" style. We
had these in Charleston and have been trying to duplicate them ever since.
I think I almost have the recipe down pat. These tomatoes weren't totally
green, but they worked just fine.
Cindy is giving me a few lessons on how to start the Coleman stove with
Dad supervising the operation.
We dipped the tomatoes in batter and fried them up.
Sherri and Yvonne set up an assembly line to finish them with the tasty
toppings. These are very special fried green tomatoes.
To assemble them, they put a small amount of marinara sauce on the
bottom of the plate, followed by a fried tomato. Then they put a few
spoonfuls of an herbed cream cheese and feta blend, another tomato,
more cheese and top the whole thing with pesto oil.
Oh yeah! Just because your camping doesn't mean you can't do a
little gourmet cooking. They were a hit!
The young moms had a challenge keeping their little ones entertained.
They brought plenty of toys, but of course they didn't really want to
play with those. The gravel was a lot more interesting.
I know it can be a sacrifice to do things like this with babies. The
mothers certainly don't get much rest - but I think family gatherings
without children are pretty boring. Thank you Jessica and Ashley for
supporting our family reunion!!!
Four year old boys on the other hand can figure out things to do . Boys and
woods go hand in hand and Quinten had a blast hitting the trees with sticks.
After dinner, Abbie had her bath in a tub
and was ready for bed.
With babies in tents snoozing soundly, we enjoyed s'mores around the campfire.
No one however, enjoyed the flash on my camera.
I was finally forced to put it away.
Saturday didn't come soon enough for some of us. The hardest part of
camping for me is crawling out of that tent in the morning. Good grief,
the body parts just don't work so well after sleeping on the ground.
The morning after tales of everyone's "miserable" night brought more
than a few smiles to my face. My dad and Yvonne however had a great
evening in the Holiday Inn. This is why they look so happy.
This little mama was not so happy! What a trooper she was to come and
camp with an eighteen month old and pregnant with baby number two.
And she has her own camping style that I love. Check out these pink
camping shoes.
Breakfast was wonderful. Breakfast is always wonderful when you
are camping! Cindy is the official bacon chef.
There is the play mat again.....with no children on it.
They prefer sitting in poppy's lap.
Holden's first campout. (Holden's the dog.)
Meals are a group effort.
Abbie wants to help with the dishes.
After breakfast, I took Sherri and Benjamin on my favorite hike to
John Rock.
They loved it. I'm holding on to Sherri's arm because she is nervous
about standing out on that rock. Ben's cool with it though.
Here come's the storm. It hit us full force on the way back down the
mountain. With thunder and lightning all around us, praying like crazy,
we made it back in record time.....very, very wet!
The trail turned into a creek.
When we returned to the campground, the storm had passed through,
dumping torrential rain on everything. Then just in case anything had
been spared, we had a second storm that took care of the rest of it.
With wet bedding, the group decided to pack up and head home.
It's really not fun camping in the rain.
I was so sad. We didn't even get to go bike riding or swimming in the
swimming hole. Darn that rain.
Some of the group decided to relocate to my house where we had a
wonderful BBQ chicken dinner. My dad has a great recipe for BBQ
sauce that we love.
It was nice to be dry and have comfortable beds to sleep in. The next day
Scott loaded up his truck and the Greensboro/ Richmond group headed
back home.
But not before I snapped just a few more shots.
I love this "cousin" shot of Jantzen, Jessica and Dillon.
Looks like we color coordinated our wardrobe, doesn't it?
Well, family reunion 2011 is over and even though some things didn't turn
out quite like I had hoped, I think it was still a success, because we were
together.
We missed my brother and his family. I hope they will be able
to make it next year. I made these little "s'more kits" to send
to them and some others who weren't able to attend.
We had some stressful moments. I think that can be expected whenever
families get together. It just gives us opportunities to exercise patience
and practice forgiveness.
We had children that weren't always happy.
And then of course, we had the rain.
But even with sleepless nights, crying babies and wet bedding - even
when you have to travel long distances and pack up half your house -
even with all the work.......I think it's still worth it to have family reunions.
If families don't put forth the effort, it's too easy to let other things get
in the way of being together and building relationships, especially when
we live miles apart. Our Christmas gathering each year is fun, but
it doesn't allow enough time to make long lasting memories. Family
reunions do. It doesn't have to be camping, but I do like the idea of
being together for several days. This allows us time to have some great
experiences. And even the things that don't seem so great at the time
(like standing under a tarp trying to stay dry or hiking down a mountain
in the rain or losing an expensive pair of eyeglasses only to find them
much later in a basket of tomatoes) become precious memories in years
to come. I'm grateful my family has committed the first weekend in
August to be together. It's something I look forward to each summer.
I'm also really glad that I have a whole year to rest up before the next one.
*MYOF Goals - #1 Take 50 hikes
#12 Nurture relationships with my extended family
#41 Go camping
*Summer Goals - Hike, Sit by a campfire and eat s'mores, Eat corn on the cob and
Host our family reunion







It was hard but I agree it was worth it. I too am committed to our time together at family gatherings. It's important and who we are.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the hike... even if I can't remember being so wet (even when I shower). It was fun, beautiful, and definitely memorable!
I loved sharing a tent with Jessica and Abbie. It was hot, but I was thankful for an air mattress (my back isn't what it once was).
I loved the good food... especially the yummy fried green tomatoes, one of my very favorites.
I loved spending time with my family and looking at the funny pictures afterward.
Thanks for the post and for planning our reunion this year.
I will camp again with you and the family, preferably not in August though :)
Thanks to both you and Mark for opening your home to us after the rain!
ReplyDeletelooked like fun even in the rain..your house does look more comfortable though! The boys looks great - love their Avett Bros t-shirts!
ReplyDelete