Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tilapia with Lemon Caper Sauce

I used to be terrified of cooking fish.  It seemed like one of those
foods that was too tricky and complicated to do at home.  I almost
always order fish in restaurants, but now I've learned how to make
some really good seafood dishes in my own kitchen.  My husband
isn't a huge fan , but I have a few tricks up my sleeve which have
helped even "non fish" eaters to enjoy it.

I use a mild fish and a great pan sauce.  This tilapia recipe fits
that description.  It's super quick and easy.  When tilapia is on
sale, I usually buy a number of fillets and put them in the freezer.
Our dinner tonight was less than $4 each and would cost at
least $10 or $12 in a decent restaurant.   I seem to enjoy the
meal even more when I know how much money I save by
cooking at home!

All you need to make this dish is tilapia, fresh lemon juice, chicken
broth, flour and capers. 

In case you aren't familiar with capers, they are the unripened flower
bud of a plant native to the Mediterranean area and Asia.  They are dried
in the sun and then pickled or salted before bottling.  You find them
with the pickles and olives in the grocery store .  I used to buy them at
Fresh Market, but now my local Ingles carries them,   I adore capers.
I use them in a number of dishes that I make regularly, so I've added
them to my food storage.  I especially like them in my tuna salad.
To make this recipe, the first thing I do is salt
and pepper the fish on both sides.
Next I dredge the fish in flour.
Heat a little butter in a large skillet.
Pan fry the fish for about 3 minutes on each side.   Remove to
a plate.
Mix the ingredients for pan sauce in a bowl and then add to pan,
scraping any browned bits of fish off the bottom of pan.
Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce
is reduced.  
Whisk a couple of tablespoons of butter into sauce.
Spoon sauce over tilapia.  Be generous, because this sauce is
awesome and you aren't going to mind a bit if the other food
on your plate is swimming in sauce.  I served this with sauteed
squash and steamed broccoli.  It's really good with garlic 
mashed potatoes, rice, orzo or pasta.  I'm just trying to 
use foods from my garden right now.  
If your looking for a new recipe for fish, try this one.  It's delicious.
The only problem I find with cooking meals like this at home, is my 
husband never really wants to go out to dinner.  As long as he helps
with the dishes, I'm okay with it.  We save our restaurant meals for 
special occasions.  

Tilapia with Lemon Caper Sauce
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 t. drained capers
1 T. butter
1 t. vegetable oil
2 tilapia fillets
salt and pepper
1/4 cup plain flour
1 T. butter

Combine first three ingredients in small bowl.
Melt 1T. butter and vegetable oil in large skillet.
Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.  Dredge
fish in flour.  Shake off excess flour.
Pan fry fish in butter until browned on 
each side - about 3 to 5 min.  Don't
overcook.  Remove fish from pan.
Add broth mixture, scaping up browned bits
from bottom of pan.  Bring to boil and cook
for about 5 minutes until reduced.  Add
butter and whisk until melted.  
Spoon over fish.

*MYOF Goals - #  Save $50 a week. (by eating at home)

2 comments:

  1. Sure wish I had been there to try it. I have a new rule at my house... no cooking fish indoors. That last experience almost caused me to have to sell my house. Not good! Will you make this for me sometime when I am up????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I will make this for you some time and I'm wondering what kind of fish you had that made your house stink. The rule for buying fish is always buy the freshest possible. If it smells like fish, don't buy it. It's too old. You might like this recipe though.

    ReplyDelete