I have a friend who is on an amazing, month long vacation. I'm only a little
jealous, because today I know she is at BYU Education Week taking classes
from our favorite professors. It's okay though, because when she returns
she will share all that knowledge with me and that's almost as good as being
there... almost. A few days ago, she called me from beautiful Park City,
Utah to check in, share some of her most recent adventures and to see how
I was doing. I love the fact that distance doesn't diminish the concerns of a
friend. Before she left, we were in the middle of a little family trauma,
which is pretty typical around here, but still, it's nice to know that friends
are praying for you and thinking about you even when they are on
vacation!!!
In the course of our conversation, she mentioned her basil plants at home
were full and ready to be harvested. It was the first year she felt like she
had been successful in her endeavors to grow basil. She had bought all
the ingredients to make pesto before she left, but you know how that week
before leaving on a trip goes...crazy busy!! Well, making pesto didn't
make it off her to-do list.
Today I did what any good friend would do. I went and got her basil and
made pesto for her freezer. Letting beautiful basil like this go to waste
would certainly be a crime. She had three large plants and I did some
serious pruning on them. She may be welcomed home by another crop
of leaves. Basil is nice that way. Cut it back and it will grow again.
Look how beautiful this basil is. The leaves are large and vibrant green.
Perfect for pesto.
Pesto is so easy to make. Traditionally, pesto is made with a mortar and
pestle. That's very Italian. But the quick way is to use your food processor.
All you need are a few basic ingredients. Pesto can be made with lots of
different things - like spinach, parsley, sun dried tomatoes, and red peppers.
The most amazing pesto I've ever had was lemon artichoke. But this is
your basic basil pesto and it's delicious.
You will need parmesan cheese (not the kind you buy in the green
plastic container), pine nuts, garlic, fresh lemon juice, salt, olive oil
and of course basil leaves. Pesto is a classic example of the sum being
better than the parts, even though I have to say, each one of those
parts on it's own is pretty darn good.
Pesto can be kept in the refrigerator for weeks with a thin layer of
olive oil on top or put in the freezer to enjoy all winter.
You can even put pesto in an ice cube tray and freeze little cubes to be
thawed and used as needed. Last year I had so much basil, that after
I made pesto, I also just chopped up fresh basil, added some olive oil to it
and put it in small freezer bags. I flattened the bags so they took up very
little room in the freezer. Whenever I wanted some fresh basil, (spaghetti
sauce, etc.) I would just take out that bag and break off a chunk of frozen
basil and add it to the sauce. I think it is so much better than dried basil.
Once you have frozen pesto, it can be used in lots of ways. Our favorite
is probably as a pizza base. I make a good chicken pesto pizza that
everyone enjoys. It can be used in pasta salads or in hot pasta dishes.
Angel hair pasta mixed with pesto is about the easiest dinner you can
imagine. It's good on steak or put under the skin of a roast chicken.
Spread on bread, it will make regular garlic bread seem boring. You
can add some vinegar and more olive oil and make a pesto viniagrette
for salads and a spoonful in a bowl of minestrone is yummy. Are you
getting hungry yet?
If you have fresh basil, try making pesto. It's easy and will taste better
and be less expensive than buying it in the store. It's one of those summer
flavors that you will savor in a few months when snow's on the the ground.
Basic Basil Pesto
2 T. pine nuts (toasted)
1 or 2 large cloves of fresh garlic
2 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
4 T. fresh grated parmesan cheese (use the best you can afford
and grate it yourself in processor before adding other
ingredients)
2 t. fresh lemon juice
up to 1/4 cup olive oil or more depending on how thick you
like your pesto
Add first two ingredients in food processor. Add remaining
ingredients, except oil. Add oil last.
Experiment with the garlic and lemon juice. You make like
less garlic and more lemon flavor. Or you may be like me
and like lots of garlic :)
I made 5 recipes of this to go into the freezer jars
shown in the above picture.
Wow! That sounds delicious! I will definitely write down this recipe. Thanks, Melissa. XOXO
ReplyDeleteYum. We love pesto. We make it now and eat on it all winter long. Pesto pizza is definitely our favorite recipe, though we eat it with pasta, chicken and veggies, too.
ReplyDeleteYum! The first time I made pesto the recipe I used called for 10 cloves of garlic and, being a novice, I thought that meant 10 garlic bulks. After about the second bulk I got tired of crushing the garlic and left it at that. The pesto was very spicy, but otherwise good!I like to put pesto on Salmon and serve it over fett. alfredo. (PJ calls it a glorified mac and cheese with tuna... I don't think so)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE basil which forces me to love pesto! Can I tell you how jealous I am! I would hang the pic of the jars on my wall! :D
ReplyDelete