Last week, we were invited to join a group of friends for dinner. The
evening was extra special as we were able to visit with folks we
hadn't seen in a long time. This couple lives in Utah now and we
were glad to spend some time with them.
It was a great excuse to go out to dinner and talk and talk and talk.
Dinner was pretty good, but it was really all about the company.
Notice all the men are on one end of the table and the women are on
the other. The men grew tired of talking before we did. That's not
surprising, is it?
When I moved to Hendersonville twenty-five years ago, I was
half the age I am now, had a two year old and a new baby.
We were starting a new business and didn't know anyone in
the area. Until we went to church, that is. After that first Sunday,
we had a new ward family. I love being a member of a worldwide
church. No matter where you go, you will have instant friends -
brothers and sisters in the gospel. Being a young mother and a
fairly new convert, I was in need of friends. But what I really
needed was mentoring. I needed to learn from other women
how to be a godly woman, wife and mother.
I needed some Titus 2 friends.
"The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh
holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of
good things; that they may teach the young women to be sober,
to love their husbands, to love their children. To be discreet, chaste,
keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word
of God be not blasphemed."
Titus 2:3-5
Titus 2 teaches that the more spiritually mature women in the
church have a responsibility to work with the younger women,
teaching them by word and example how to be a righteous woman
and showing them how that looks in day to day life. How a godly
woman talks, dresses, immerses herself in God's word, shows honor
and respect to her family, serves her neighbor, uses her resources, takes
care of her home, gracefully endures adversity and conducts herself
with others are lessons that are caught, as well as taught. We "catch"
these lessons by rubbing shoulders with other righteous women.
I have been very blessed to have a number of such women in my
life. On this evening, I was sitting among five of them.
Over the years I've sat through countless meetings (and I do
mean countless) where I've been taught the gospel, often by
these very women. Two of them have been my Stake Relief
Society President. Every Christmas I dig out my gingerbread
recipe and patterns and make gingerbread houses. I learned
how to do that from Lindsay and Bev. They also tried to teach
me how to quilt, very patiently, I would add. Sewing is not
my strong point , but the little I know, I learned from them.
A few weeks ago, I sat in a class taught by Lindsay and left
feeling inspired and encouraged to be a better wife to my
good husband. Bev says she has served much of her life
as a homemaking counselor in Relief Society. I'm sure it's
because she's so good at it! I've learned skills that have helped
me be a better homemaker from her. And I love being a
homemaker!!! Would I feel that way without having such
wonderful examples? I don't think so.
I learned to love the Primary organization from Sue and Becky.
They were amazing primary presidents and I served as a teacher
under both of them. They were the kind of leaders that made you
want to be better, just by being around them. I watched as they
loved the children unconditionally and I wanted to be a primary
leader just like that. I hope I can follow in their footsteps as now I
find myself serving in the same capacity.
All of these women have taught me what it means to be committed
to the gospel and serve selflessly. I've listened as they have stood as
witnesses of Christ and and have shared their testimonies, conducted
meetings, sacrificed their time and shared their talents. I've watched
them raise their families and I've spent time in each of their homes,
sharing meals and learning the art of hospitality.
They have been my mentors, my Titus 2 friends. I doubt they knew
I was watching so closely and that I was learning all of these things
from them. Thank you Lindsay, Anne, Bev, Becky and Sue, for being
righteous women who took an interest in me and my family. You are
my dear sisters, and you are loved!
The Lord knew that women needed to have these friendships with other
women. The principle of mentoring is a biblical one and part of his plan
to help us along life's path.
I hope you have some Titus 2 friends who are making a difference in your
life. If you do, you are indeed blessed.
*MYOF Goals- Goal # 3 - Do something fun with a friend each month.
All of your posts are blessings. This one is very special. I am sending it to several sisters. Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteBetsy Price