from June. Summer is moving at a fast pace. It always does. Here's
a few odds and ends from last month.
People and Places
I picked blueberries with my sister
and nephew. I appreciate her sharing her abundance and now I have a freezer
full of berries for muffins, pancakes and maybe even a blueberry poundcake.
full of berries for muffins, pancakes and maybe even a blueberry poundcake.
While visiting my sister, she took me shopping for my birthday present.
I love my new cherry apron! Thanks, Cindy.
As her dinner guest, I had my first fried green tomatoes of the season. Yum!Of course we had other good things too. As much as we love fried green
tomatoes, we don't make a meal out of them.
I went to the Columbia temple with my new friend, Linda. She recently
moved here from Maryland and I'm enjoying getting to know her as I visit
with her each month as her visiting teacher.
The visiting teaching program in our church gives us the opportunity
to serve other women as we visit in their homes, share an encouraging
spiritual message and become a part of their lives. As friends, we are
there to help whenever a need arises. It's a beautiful plan that ensures
that we are all taken care of. I've learned that so often when the Lord
answers my prayers, He does it through others. Visiting teaching is one
way we can be an instrument in the Lord's hands.
I was able to have a quick, but enjoyable visit with my dad and Yvonne.
I count every moment when we are together a blessing. Love those
patriotic t-shirts, guys.
And on the other side of the family, we enjoyed a great meal at Mom
and Dad Wray's home.
I caught mom in action as she prepared lunch.
I love this mother and son shot.
*MYOF Goals #12 - Nurture extended family relationships
#44- Give 50 hours of service (temple work and visiting teaching)
# 24 - Attend the temple each month
Things
I've been in heaven with all my veggies from the garden.
Squash - two ways.
Grilled (Healthy)
Fried (Not so Healthy- but tasty nonetheless)
I would love more recipes for squash, as I have an abundance of them.
Other than grilling, frying and sauteing, I'm running out of ideas. I've
been thinking about having a squash party, where everyone who comes has
to bring a recipe which we could share and then as all parties require eating,
we would eat....squash of course. I'd have other things too. As good
as squash is, you can only eat so much of it. Let me know if you want to be
on the guest list. :)
I grew red cabbage in the garden and other than mixing it with greens
for salads, I've had to come up with some new ways to eat it. We're
loving this Sweet and Sour Cabbage recipe.
Chop the cabbage
Put a few tablespoons of butter in the saucepan to melt.
I feel like Paula Deen here.
Next add 3 T. sugar. Ignore my stained cookware.
It gets a lot of use.
Pour in 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
Cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 20 min.
That's all there is to it. Easy and delicious!
*MYOF Goals #23 - Try 50 new recipes
#43 - Expand my vegetable garden
With My Camera
Mason jars drying on the fence posts - Amish Country
First Pickings
* MYOF Goal #26 - Improve photography skills
Oven roasted is one of my favorites for squash. I use both zucchini and yellow and slice kind of thin, a purple onion and red pepper also sliced thin. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven about 30 minutes or so... add feta cheese (YUM) and I sprinkle with a seasoning I have called Salad Supreme. Continue baking until it starts to brown and serve. It is so absolutely yummy! My family is crazy about it.
ReplyDelete