Each evening as it cools off, I walk through it and get excited all over
again, as I discover new things.
But the real reason I garden, is for the tomatoes. It's really all about
the tomatoes.
This year, I went a little crazy and planted twenty one tomato plants. I've
had really bad luck in years past with my tomatoes (blight) and I expected
to lose at least half of these to that nasty fungus. I'm just beginning to see
it creep in and I'm putting up a fight.
But I'm still harvesting lots of tomatoes and I'm one happy girl!
Early Girls, Cherry, Brandywine, Mr. Stripey and my all time favorite -
Cherokee Purple. I dearly love a Cherokee Purple tomato. Have you
tried them?
Sliced on a plate with salt and pepper - it's the perfect snack. Sandwiched
between bread with mayonnaise - it's the perfect lunch.
With so many tomatoes available right now, I'm stocking the pantry.
This winter when my taste buds are pining for summer tomatoes , I"ll
just open a jar and be reminded of warmer days. Of course, I won't
be eating tomato sandwiches, but by then vegetable soup will be hitting
the spot.
*MYOF Goals # 43 - Expand my vegetable garden.
# 18 - Work on monthly storage and preparedness goals
*Summer Goals - Eat tomato sandwiches
I love my garden too.
ReplyDeleteWe had breakfast for dinner tonight... and oh, were the eggs delicious! Thank you so much for sharing the bounteous goodness of your homestead with me. It was so, so very lovely to spend the afternoon with you. :)
Can we do fried green tomatoes at the camp out???? PLEEEEASE???
ReplyDelete