Friday, July 1, 2011

Finger Lickin' Good


I'm not sure who was more excited about our lunch date this month-
me or Travis.  I had heard good things about 12 Bones, but Travis
had tasted the good things at 12 Bones.  Even President Obama had
to try out this BBQ when he was in Asheville.  However, I doubt he
had to stand in line, like we did, to get in the door.
They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover or a restaurant by its
exterior, although I do both.  If I didn't know there was good food inside
this building or if the line out the door wasn't a clue, I would drive right on
by.  On this day, we couldn't even find a parking spot in the lot and had
to park down the road.  It was a hot day, but standing in line was no
problem with the misters spraying on us and the water to drink while
we waited.  The line moved pretty quickly too.
The closer we got to the door, the better it smelled.  I love that smoky, spicy,
BBQ aroma!  Once inside it was crazy!!
Loud and full of happy people,  the atmosphere was pure fun.

Decisions, decisions.
At Travis' suggestion, I went with a half rack of blueberry chipotle ribs
with jalapeno cheddar grits and sweet coleslaw.  
Travis had the beef briscuit sandwich with the grits and mac and cheese. 
No picture, but equally delicious.  The sides were wonderful and I could
have had a bowl of those grits and been a happy girl.  I've always been
of the opinion that messy, sticky, juicy = good food!   And this was no
exception.
Once the food arrived, we ate like two people who hadn't had a meal
in days.  I didn't mean to eat like a pig, but I just couldn't help myself.
It was soooo good! Barely coming up for breath, we cleaned our plates
in 17 minutes flat.  How embarrassing.
Thanks, Travis for a great lunch.  We decided next month we would
go for something a little lighter- maybe vegetarian?
I definitely plan to return to 12 Bones and am already thinking about who
I can bring with me that would love some good BBQ.  We went to the 
Riverside Drive location which is open Mon. -Fri. from 11:00 to 4:00pm.
They also have a Sweeten Creek location open  Tues.- Sat. from 11:00
to 4:00 with carry out only until 6:00.  I guess a wildly successful
restaurant can have whatever crazy hours they want.   Go and have some
great BBQ.  You'll be happy you did!
*MYOF Goal # 40 - Try a different restaurant in Asheville with Travis each month.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I would love some good bbq :)
    Love your pretty tunic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm another post to help me miss the south. People out here think grilling on a grill is bbq. Even if we dont go together, I would love to know where this place is!

    ReplyDelete