Since we are on a pasta roll here, I thought I would
share a recipe for stuffed shells. The spinach filling
is the same that we used for the ravioli we made here
as well as the garden tomato sauce. My sister Cindy,
suggested using the filling to stuff shells and I thought
it was a great idea. Although you could use fresh
spinach if you have it, the frozen works perfectly.
Thaw the frozen spinach. You can do it
in a microwave if you forget to take it out
of the freezer in time.
Then put the spinach in a clean dishtowel
And twist it until all the liquid comes out. You will be surprised
how much water will still be in the spinach.
Finely chop a little onion and break apart the spinach.
Saute the onion in butter and when softened, add the spinach
and salt and pepper to taste.
In a medium sized bowl, add ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese
and egg yolk. Mix all together.
Add the spinach mixture and stir.
That's the filling. Set aside until your ready to stuff the shells.
Now to make the pasta sauce.
Chop onions, carrots and garlic. Ideally you would do all the
chopping at one time - for the filling and the sauce.
Saute in saucepan in butter and when vegetables are tender add
two cans of crushed tomatoes. San Marzona tomatoes are the
best, but I was out, so I used what I had.
Simmer with lid on for about an hour, stirring every so often.
When it is done, add cream and fresh basil.
That's it! A very easy and delicious pasta sauce.
Cook jumbo shells according to package directions. Drain
and cool (so you don't burn your fingers!) and then
fill those babies up.
Top with that wonderful fresh pasta sauce. You will have
leftover sauce to freeze and use another time.
Layer on more parmesan cheese and some mozzerella or
any grated Italian blend.
Bake until everything is hot and bubbly.
I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but
you can imagine it, all gooey and melty on top, right?
Really good......
I had enough to make an extra small dish to freeze
and I used the leftover filling for omelets the next evening,
with a simple green salad with viniagrette. This was our
first salad of the season with my garden lettuce.
Isn't it pretty?
Spinach Filling
1 box frozen chopped spinach, drained
1/2 medium onion, minced fine
1 cup ricotta cheese
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 large egg yolk
3 T. butter
Saute onion in butter. Add spinach when
onion is soft. Salt and pepper to taste.
In med. bowl, mix ricotta cheese, egg yolk
and parmesan cheese. Stir in spinach mixture.
Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped fine
2 large cloves garlic, minced
4 T. butter
2 cans crushed tomatoes
1/4 - 1/2 cup heavy cream
fresh basil, shredded
Saute onion, carrots and garlic in butter
until vegetables are tender. Do not brown
garlic. Add canned tomatoes. Cover and
simmer for about an hour. Add cream and
basil before serving.
Inspired by recipe in The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook
*Goal # 10 - Eat 3 meatless meals a week
*Goal #23 - Try 50 new recipes
*Goal #43 - Expand my vegetable gardens
What???? You are pasta cheating on me??? Don't you know you aren't suppose to try dishes like this without me? Dang, and it looks so good. I think I am gaining weight just looking at the pictures on your blog. So sad... I really missed eating your cooking. You kitchen is one of my favorites to eat from. Please will you make me these sometime (soon)??????
ReplyDeleteYou are awe-some!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea to use the filling for omelets!!!
ReplyDeleteThis inspires me... I make stuffed shells similar to this, but your sauce sounds delicious. I can't wait to try it. AND, I want to make extra filling JUST so I can have an omelet the next day!
ReplyDelete