When you have a day like this, you just have to drop everything
and get outdoors. Today was a perfect day to hike Big Glassy at Carl
Sandburg's home.
I've spent many an afternoon here with my kids walking the grounds, petting
the goats, picnicking and watching Rootabaga Stories. But recently,
I've discovered the hike that takes you to the top of Big Glassy. The
trail begins behind the house and winds around for a mile or so to the
top of the mountain.
After several weeks of cold and snowy weather, it seems lots of
people wanted to get outdoors and soak up the sunshine. The trail
was crowded.
This hike is just challenging enough to get your heartbeat elevated and
work up a little sweat....and then your at the top, sitting on a rock
bald enjoying the view.
We had to be careful of the icy spots. No slipping allowed.
The peak in the middle is Mount Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Tara and her niece are soaking up some Vitamin D.
I love hiking with these girls. We had a blast.
* Goal #1 - Take 50 hikes ( This is #2)
Looks like fun. I remember going there once with the girls for the Rootabaga Stories. What fun. Glad you could get out and enjoy the pretty weather. I just love reading your Blog... thanks for letting us be apart of your life in such a special way. Love you!
ReplyDeleteIt's fun to get a comment. Sometimes, when I'm posting something
ReplyDeleteI think, "who on earth would be interested in this?" But it is such a great journaling tool and I'm having fun with it. Love you too!
What a great place to spend an afternoon! We love hiking and having a picnic over there! Glad you could get out and enjoy the spring-like day!
ReplyDelete