Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Farm to Table

Last year about this time, I was planting asparagus.  You can read about
that here.  I've been excitedly watching my little bed to see when the first
spears would show themselves, or if they even would.   Normally, local
asparagus is available in April, but because of our unusually mild winter
and spring, I was watching for it earlier.  Asparagus and rhubarb are some
of the first garden offerings, and since I killed my rhubarb I planted last year,
I was hoping I would at least have some asparagus to look forward to.
I was super excited when I saw the first few spears.  Oh, my gosh.  I'm
growing asparagus!   I've been wanting to do this for so long.  Asparagus
is expensive to buy in the stores and usually comes long distances from
California or Mexico.  Local, organically grown asparagus is hard to come
by.  These are all reasons why I wanted to add this to my vegetable garden.
The first year  after planting, you're supposed to let it grow and go to seed,
so that you will have healthier plants in the future.  Man is that hard to do.
But you'd be proud of how good I'm being.  Every day I walk out and look
at it and am amazed at how much it grows overnight.  Holy cow, I'm talking
several inches.  I thought I could get by with cutting just a few spears to
taste, so I picked some of the smaller ones to put into a breakfast omelet.
Thank you ladies, don't mind if I do.
Asparagus and eggs are a friendly combination and especially good
with a little gruyere cheese sprinkled on top.
A thick slice of whole wheat bread, 
with some raspberry jam sounds like a winner.  When I do toast, I
don't mess around!
Asparagus picked fifteen minutes ago, eggs fresh from the hen and toast 
and jam from my kitchen.  I have to tell you this was one satisfying meal. 
My attempts at "farm to table" eating have made me very happy this morning.
Yum!!!!   The asparagus is even better than I had hoped.  Now, I just have
to make sure I don't take my knife with me to the garden again.   Next year
this exercise in discipline will pay off, when I can have all I want!
*MYOF Goals #43 - Expand my vegetable garden.
                           #39-  Make healthy bread.

1 comment:

  1. This is my all time favorite omelet! I ate my first one at age 16 at Clyde's restaurant in Georgetown, VA. It was heavenly! I am guessing your omelet is even better than that one. B

    ReplyDelete