branches for their conferences each year is the food. Yeah, Mormon women
are great cooks and they always put out quite the spread for their visitors.
At the Linger Longer Luncheons or Munch and Mingles (cute names, huh?)
we have the opportunity to visit with families we don't get to see that often
and enjoy some fine food. I shared a recipe for a super chili from this
conference.
Last year when I went to Marion for their Ward Conference, I had a delicious
salad at the meal afterwards. I asked Kristi for the recipe and she said she
would get it to me. I waited and waited and then forgot about it (I forgive her,
she's a busy lady!). Until this Sunday when I was getting ready to go back to
Marion and I thought about Kristi and wondered if she would make that
broccoli salad again. Well, she did...and she also remembered to bring me
the recipe!!! (see, she hadn't forgotten about me after all). It was as good as
I remembered and I would have totally gone back and had seconds for
dessert, but apparently everyone else likes this salad too and it was wiped out.
No worries. With the recipe in my possession, now I can make my own...
and I did, last night. This salad is oh, so, yummy, as written, but I think I
will tweak it a little in the future, because that's what I do with recipes. I'm
a serious tweaker. A little less dressing, or more broccoli would make it
healthier. I'm wondering how a half and half mix of mayo and plain yogurt
would work out. I also used stevia instead of sugar in the dressing. Although,
Christie didn't add the raisins, I did and thought they were a good addition.
The bacon and sunflower seeds were perfect. Since, I know I would eat too
much of this salad on my own, it will become my new pot luck dish of choice.
Kristi, you don't mind do you?
Begin with a big head of broccoli. Wash and
trim and cut into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
Cook bacon slices over medium heat until evenly browned.
Drain and crumble into small pieces.
Finely chop up a little red onion and add to broccoli in bowl.
Mix together dressing of mayonnaise, white wine
vinegar and sugar (or stevia).
Toss dressing over broccoli, onion and raisins in bowl
and refrigerate at least two hours. Before serving add,
crumbled bacon and sunflower seeds.
Delicious! Thanks Kristi!
Kristi Trimnall's Oh, So Good, Broccoli Salad
10 slices bacon
1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
3 T. white wine vinegar
2 T. white sugar ( or stevia equivalent)
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over
medium high heat until evenly browned. Drain.
Crumble and set aside.
In a medium bow, combine broccoli, onion and
raisins. In small bowl, whisk together the vinegar,
sugar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture,
and toss until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
Before serving, toss salad with crumbled bacon and sunflower seeds.
*MYOF Goal #23 - Try 50 new recipes.
No comments:
Post a Comment