Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Waiting For The Tree

The weekend after Thanksgiving I started pulling out the Christmas
decorations.  A few boxes at a time, I worked to put everything in it's
place.  But I waited for the tree.  It was hard not to go tree shopping
when I saw other cars drive by with trees tied to the top or admired 
the lovely trees set up in friend's homes. But I was determined to wait.
We love having a live tree.  But in a house with wood stoves and a
fireplace, that tree can become dry as a bone in a few weeks time and 
pretty soon the floor is covered in needles and the branches are drooping
under the weight of the ornaments.  By Christmas day it's a sad sight. 
And that frustrates me.

So, the garland was hung, the candles were set out and the Christmas
china was placed in the cabinet, but I waited on the tree.

I'm not a good waiter, so it's been a test in discipline.  But finally this
week, the time had come and we went shopping for the tree.  We, being
mom and Travis.  Just mom and Travis.  

As I get older I've noticed that sometimes I will be going through the
motions of some activity and I will hear a sweet little whispering in my
head and heart that this "thing" that I'm doing is much bigger than I
realize.  I hear, "this moment is special, savor it."  As Travis and I
walked around the tree lot looking at trees together the whisperings
began.  It's been a long time since my firstborn and I did this.  In fact, 
it may be the only time we've done this, just the two of us.

When we unloaded the tree and carried it into the house, I heard it again.
When we were both under the tree trying to straighten it in the stand,
laughing at the cats who obviously thought we brought this tree in the house
just for them, I heard it again.  "This is special, really enjoy it."
As the decorations came out of the boxes and went on the tree, I was 
transported back to a time, when this man was a little boy, anxiously
fumbling through the boxes, pulling out ornaments one by one.
And I heard it again.
And when I watched him put the angel on the top, I was overcome with
gratitude for this gift of time...mom and Travis time.  A tender mercy from
a loving God.
It was worth the wait.  Good things always are.
Thank you Travis for your help and especially for the memory.  Moms
just can't get enough of these kinds of things.
Now it really looks like Christmas around here.

2 comments:

  1. How precious! I appreciate your tree much more now than I did when I was standing in front of it. It was so beautiful and several times as I came down the steps from my bedroom over the weekend I would admire the beauty of your living room with the tree and everything so pretty. I know this was a special time. I enjoyed so much spending time with Travis over the weekend and I know you really had a special day the day the tree when up.

    ReplyDelete