on this subject this weekend, I thought I would share some of my
ideas for lifelong learning.
Remember when you were in school and you were supposed to
go on a field trip? Weren't those the best days? Out of the classroomand into the real world, even those activity buses weren't so bad.
Learning was exciting. This is how I feel about post graduate education.
Life is a field trip with something new to learn around each corner.
I've been out of the "school" scene for a long time now, but that doesn't
mean I have lost the desire to learn. At times I toy with the idea of going
back to school. Who knows, maybe that will be a goal for my year of fifty-one.
I am however, convinced there is a lot of good we can do in the world
without a degree and there are numerous ways to self educate.
The truly educated never graduate.
No matter how old we are, we can be actively learning and growing.
Michelangelo, at age 87, said "Ancora imparo.", which for those ofus who don't speak Latin, means "I am learning still." Yep! I'm right
there with you Michelangelo. Everyday of my life, I am learning.
Some lessons are harder than others.
And here's a prescription for remaining youthful.
"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.”
Henry Ford
Ten Ideas (+1) for Life Long Learning
1. Hang out with smart people.
They are everywhere.
Also, hang out with people who love to learn. It's contagious.
2. Ask lots of questions. Be curious.
Especially when you're with those smart people. Listen and learn.
3. Try to learn one new thing each day.
It can be anything from which kind of apple makes the best pies, to
what kind of bug is eating your lettuce in the garden.
4. Do things you are afraid of doing - push yourself out of your
comfort zone.
This is huge and it can require courage, but I find it's always worth it.
5. Write things down. Write a lot.
Even if you think you stink at it.
I'm not implying that you stink at writing- but I feel like I do and
because I can be a bit of a perfectionist, I don't like to do things
I stink at. So I have to make myself keep at it. I'm finding the
practice helps. Journaling and list making and just keeping a
"common place" book are all ways to help us learn.
6. Be reading something all the time.
Read newspapers, magazines, blogs, biographies, fiction, nonfiction.
Even the backs of cereal boxes can be enlightening.
Join a book club. Share your thoughts with others. (this is so fun!)
"You will be the same person in five years as you are today
except for the books you read and the people you meet."
Charles Jones
Don't have time to sit down and read a book? Listen to books on CD
while you drive or exercise. You'll be amazed at how many books
you can "read" while driving around town doing errands.
7. Watch worthwhile tv.
Be very discriminating about what you watch. There are some really
good programs out there and there are some awful ones too. Our
time is too valuable to waste on junk.
8. Travel as much as you can.
This isn't as easy as it used to be for me (contrary to what our dear
President says, we are still feeling the recession at our house).
However, I love travel experiences so much, that I will budget for
it before I buy other things. And when I can't travel to faraway
places, I can spend time with people who have. Hey, I'll look at
your vacation pictures anytime!
The distance we travel doesn't always dictate our ability to learn
something new. Have you thoroughly explored the area you
live in? Sometimes a field trip across town can be a cultural
experience. Or for that matter, how about your neighbors?
Do you know them well enough to be familiar with their interests
and hobbies? We can learn from everyone!
9. Don't be afraid to be around people who are different
from you.
This kinda goes along with stepping out of your comfort zone.
We tend to enjoy hanging out with people who look like us, live
like us and have our same beliefs. We miss out on so much when
we do this. Open your world and enjoy all God's children.
10. Take classes.
Sign up for some continuing education classes, online classes or
classes offered in your community. There are so many talented
people who are willing to share their gifts with others. It's fun to
take a class and meet new people.
I've ordered a number of The Great Courses over the years.
These are CD's or DVD's with high school and college level
lectures on every kind of subject you can imagine. I watch for
the sale items and have even put these on my Christmas wish
list.
A most exciting discovery is the website- Academic Earth.
One of the students in my class Saturday recommended I check
it out. I did and I was like a kid in a candy store looking at all the
offerings of free college courses from Harvard, Yale and other
universities. Now, it remains to be seen if I can understand any
of it, but this definitely qualifies for hanging out with smart people.
I won't really be hanging out with them....but you know what
I mean. And did I mention that it was FREE?
11. Listen to TED talks online.
These are amazing. I love the one by Jamie Oliver and I just
listened to J.K. Rowling give the commencement speech
at Harvard. Very, very interesting stuff.
I now find myself in the season of life that lends itself to having
more time for these kinds of pursuits. But regardless of our
situations, we can all be learning and growing if we have the
desire to do so. Remember life is a field trip and if we look for
ways to learn something new, even a visit to the farmer's market
or the hardware store can be an education.
I would love to hear what you've been learning lately?
Great ideas and thank you for the notice of free Harvard classes! Here in Disney World we have a lot of employees from other countries so when we have slow times, I love to talk to them about their country. The most recent one has been Haiti. When you talk to people from there, you don't get from them that it is a poor country or a place they hate, they are very proud and it makes me want to be proud of my country as well. Thanks for the post!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting to be surrounded by people from all over the world. Sounds like you're taking advantage of it. Here's another site I came across with more free online courses. It's awesome.
ReplyDeletehttp://einztein.com/