( I like big boats too), I love to travel. I find the whole process, from
planning to execution, thrilling. After months of being home (which I
also love), I start to get the travel bug. I don't have to go too far away.
The only requirement is a change of scenery and a break from routine.
Throw in a few new experiences and a chance to spend time with
people I love and pretty soon I have a perfect getaway and the cure
for my malady. With summer months fast approaching, I woke up
one morning with the itching feeling that I needed to go somewhere.
Looks like the travel bug had me again. So I contacted a friend and
invited myself for a visit. You can get by with that if they are a really
good friend. She loves me, so she said , "sure, I would love to have you
come." Oh, boy! Time to start planning a road trip! I have been to
Shannon's house before, but it's been a while and summer in Michigan
is lovely. She always finds the best things to do, so I knew that time
spent with her would be exciting. Plus, we had lots of catching up to do.
Whenever I am planning a trip, I get out my atlas and circle the destination -
in this case - Midland, Michigan. Then I start looking at everything within
a hundred mile radius of the route I plan to take. This is why I love road
trips. You can see so much more and have experiences along the way that
you would miss if you took a plane. Whenever possible I like to go and
return by different routes.
By leaving a day early and going to dad's bed and breakfast, I was
positioned to take a different road than I normally would take. The direct
route to Michigan is I 40 to Knoxville and then I 75 towards Michigan.
I wasn't feeling in a direct route mood this time. While enjoying a little
visit with my dad and stepmom, he helped me plan some of the trip.
Guess I got his travel genes because he loves to travel as much as I do.
In fact he is getting ready to embark on a month long road trip himself.
With the atlas marked, I got on the computer and found lodging and
ideas for other things to do in the area.
Waking up bright and early ( I was excited), I loaded the car. Then I
enjoyed a wonderful breakfast provided by Yvonne.
The front seat was prepared so everything I needed was in reach - a little
cooler stocked with water, babybel cheese and berries and my travel basket.
My basket is loaded with books on cd, a map, water, camera and snacking
foods-such as nuts, luna bars, cheez its ( my guilty pleasure travel food -
love that salty,cheesy, crunchy combination) and a bar of good chocolate.
Bike was loaded
and I was ready to go!
Yes, I am driving thirteen hours by myself, and no, I'm not the least bit
afraid to do so. I actually enjoying traveling alone sometimes. I can do
exactly what I want to do. See an interesting store or historical site?
I can stop. Feel like eating mexican for lunch? That's what I do.
Need to stop and go to the bathroom every 100 miles? No apologies
necessary, just stop. Want to browse through an antique or book store?
By all means, I do it. The whole experience is completely liberating
and if you've never done it - I highly recommend it. It's okay to be a little
selfish once in awhile, or so I tell myself.
And this little tool is my friend. Her name is Angel (because she gives
me directions from above :) Angel and I are ready to go anywhere.
I like to leave early in the morning and get most of my driving done by the
afternoon, leaving me plenty of time to rest up and enjoy the area in which
I find myself. The only downside to traveling alone - it's hard to drive and
take pictures, but I did snap these as I was going down the road.
I love driving through the rolling hills of Virginia.
I had forgotten how beautiful West Virginia is. So many green trees and
more rolling hills. Charleston looks like a fun place to explore, but not
today. I have a different agenda.
I stopped in Ohio for lunch, right beside the Ohio river.
It was a great day for driving and I had so much fun. I'm listening to a
book on cd that has a delightful cast of characters that are making me laugh
out loud. My first day ends in Ohio. I've never been overly fond of this state,
but I am having a change of heart. Next post, I'll tell you all about it.
*Summer Plan - Take a road trip to a new place
My main road trip was when PJ and I drove out here to Idaho and it was not fun, so I can't share the same enthusiasm (driving through Nebraska in a snow storm for 12 hours while in two separate cars...). But when we drive back out to Florida in August PJ and I will be driving together so that might be more fun. Glad that YOUR having fun though! Look forward to hearing more about your trip!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are having a good trip, though it worries me a bit that you are taking pictures while driving...smile. Enjoy yourself!
ReplyDeleteOK... you went right by the Cold Water Creek distribution outlet that I go to in Parkersburg... did you stop????? If not, I might consider driving back the say way you went :) You have seen some of my treasures and it's worth a stop. We (Scott and I) have family in Parkersburg. If you end up there, you would love them!!! And, there is a great little Italian spot right on the Ohio river that we go to when we are up there (YUM!!!) Be safe. Love you, S
ReplyDeleteMelissa, you are traveling my style now!! Being alone allows so many more possibilities like you say, you are free to do whatever you wish. When I drive up to my Mom's in Charlottesville, Virginia I usually take the Blue Ridge Parkway which turns into the Skyline Drive. So many interesting places to stop and beautiful country all around. I love taking crackers, cheese and something to drink and just sit under the trees and read a book and eat my snacks and dream of what a wonderful life I have. Of course I have to have my chocolate as well, that's what keeps me going, teehee! To me it is so refreshing with very little traffic and the slow speed limit and beautiful scenery. I know it isn't for everyone but those of us who enjoy this peaceful, stressless trip have a lot to be thankful for, and I am one of those and am very thankful for the opportunities I have had to travel this way for many years now.
ReplyDeleteI hope your trip is as special to you as all of mine have been for me and just remember to be careful. And stop to smell all the roses!!!! Love ya! Jo Ann